EN 1090-1 is a European standard for the CE Marking of structural steelwork which came into force in January 2011 and since 1st July 2014, it has become a legal requirement to CE Mark all structural steelwork.
The regulations apply to a wide range of activities involving manufactured items including:
– Importers of structural metalwork kits or components.
– Stockholders and metal processors that modify stock – for example by drilling, painting, bending, electroplating etc.
– Manufacturers of metal components or kits that have a structural use in civil engineering.
– In order to be able to CE Mark their steelwork, contractors have to implement a certified Factory Production Control (FPC) system.
– An FPC system for structural steelwork is similar to EN ISO 9001, with the exception that incorporated within it the steelwork contractor is required to have a documented Welding Quality Management System (WQMS) and nominate a person responsible for all welding related activities i.e. a Responsible Welding Coordinator (RWC).